Saturday, March 31, 2012

52 Weeks of Pinterest - Week 14: Crocheted Awareness Ribbons


There are so many different colors of awareness ribbons now that it's sometimes difficult to keep them all straight.  There are several that I hold near and dear to my heart because loved ones have been affected by the illnesses the various colors represent.

I was so excited to find this pattern on Pinterest for Crocheted Awareness Ribbons by Crochet Memories.  I hadn't made any yet, but when my friend Kathy, who was diagnosed with Lupus several years ago, started campaigning to raise money for her team in the Walk for Lupus being held in Birmingham, Alabama, in June, I knew just what I wanted to do.

I found a beautiful purple yarn with a metallic threat running through it.  Rather than using an H size hook, I used a G - I tend to crochet tighter than most (I usually have to go up about 2 hook sizes to get the proper gauge) and wanted to keep the ribbons on the smaller side.  I then used white yarn in a baby weight to go around the edges.  Once the crocheting was completed, I used a standard pin back and hot glued them to the backs.  I made a bunch for Kathy to give her teammates, and many extras.  With the extras, we're selling them in exchange for a $5.00 donation to Kathy's team in an effort to help reach her goal fo $1000.  If anyone is interested in donating to the team, as well as to Lupus research, you can contact me and I'll get you the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment