Tuesday, April 10, 2012

52 Weeks of Pinterest - Week 16: Fried Green Tomatoes


Growing up in the South, I was always fascinated by fried green tomatoes.  Much to my detriment, I was never given the opportunity to try them until my college years.  Let's just say that I was hooked from the start.  I love almost all things tomato-related anyway, so these fried green tomatoes were like heaven to me. For years I've been wanting to make them myself, but the prices on green tomatoes always seemed so ridiculously high.  That was before my recent trip to one of the local farmer's markets.  At $0.99 per pound, I grabbed 4 and was ready to give it a whirl. With leftover ribs and barbecue chicken for dinner, I knew tonight was the perfect night for a good southern dinner.

I pulled up this recipe that I found on Pinterest a few months ago.  It came from Real Simple and seemed easy enough to do.  I grabbed the necessary ingredients and got to it.

Ingredients:
1/2 C all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 C yellow cornmeal (all I had on hand was white but it worked just fine)
1 lb green tomatoes, sliced to about 1/2" thick
1/2 C oil (I used vegetable)
salt

Start by putting the flour, eggs, and cornmeal into separate bowls.
Dredge your tomato slices in the flour.
Dip the tomatoes in the egg, allowing the excess to drip off.
Gently press each slice into the cornmeal - pressing will help the cornmeal to adhere to the tomatoes.
Preheat your oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Once hot, drop your tomatoes carefully into the pan a few at a time - remember that placing too many in at one time will decrease the temperature of the oil.

Allow the slices to fry on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden in color.

Remove the tomatoes from the skillet and allow to cool on a paper towel-lined plate.  Season to taste with salt and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment