Thursday, April 19, 2012

52 Weeks of Pinterest - Week 17: Deep Fried Mini Candy Bars

We here in the South love our food fried.  From chicken to pickles to twinkies, if it's made, we'll fry it.  In all honesty, our family doesn't eat a ton of fried foods, but every once in awhile we go for it.  Tonight is the night to do things fried...

My daughter will be leaving after school tomorrow to go on her first Girl Scouts Camping Trip for the weekend.  To celebrate, I decided we needed a special dessert:  deep fried mini candy bars.  I've had them, but never made them myself, so this was a first.  The recipe actually came in my email yesterday so I pinned it to get back to it later (that's what I've started doing rather than moving things to my email folders).  When I tried to pick something special for tonight, I knew exactly where to go.

The recipe is from one of my favorite blogs for sweets - Hoosier Homemade.  If you've never seen this blog, I highly recommend you check it out.  Liz always has fun ideas that allow you to be creative, and her cupcake designs are awesome.

If you want to go directly to her link for this recipe, you can do so here.  It's super simple:
Ingredients - 
mini candy bars in your favorite flavors (we're using Snickers and Twix)
1 egg
1 cup milk
a pinch of salt
1.5 cups flour 
oil for deep frying
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Instructions - 
Freeze your candy bars overnight, or several hours at a minimum.

You whisk the egg, milk, and salt together.  Add the flour and whisk until smooth.

Place the batter in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a deep pot until it reaches 365 degrees.
Dip your frozen candy bar into the cold batter, then carefully place it in the oil.



Let it fry until it is a light golden brown, then pull it out of the oil with some tongs or a metal spatula (Note: plastic utensils will melt in hot oil.)  Place the candy bar on a cooling rack over a plate or sheet pan to allow excess oil to drain off.

Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!!!

My kids devoured there servings in next to no time... it was funny to watch their faces as they tasted them for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment